Saturday, February 2, 2008

My First 5K Race - Feb. 16!



One of the goals I set for myself last year was to get in better shape. To help me reach that goal, I have been telling everyone that I will run the 5K in the annual Run the Reagan, which is only a couple of miles from our house.

Run the Reagan takes place on Ronald Reagan Parkway, which connects Snellville with Duluth. It is a four lane divided highway complete with exits and overpasses, and I drive it every day to and from work. They will be shutting it down for the day of the races.


Here is a Google map of where we live. The green arrow is our house, and you can see how close Reagan Parkway comes (it runs northwest to southeast).


To get ready for the race, I have started working out at Planet Fitness (only $10 a month!). The first three weeks I used the low-impact aerobic running machines to get into shape. Then I moved to the treadmills to get some real running in.

Today I am actually going to run outside! Right beside Reagan Parkway is Ronald Reagan Park, which has a paved nature trail. It rolls through the trees and changes elevation several times, so it should be a good simulation of what I will have to do in the real race.

I don't want to just show up and walk, but I really want to run the entire distance! Currently, I am up to running 2.25 miles on the treadmill (at 3 times a week), so I have a little more to do to get to the 3.11 miles that a 5K actually covers.

Please wish me luck. I am thinking of training Joshua on how to use the camera so he can get some action shots of me slogging through the race. Whatever we get we will be sure to put it here! Rachel's sister Sarah is also planning on running with me, so we should have some shots of her, too.

1 comment:

Life in the Oliver Lane! said...

I'm pumped! Let do this first 5K thing together.